Mushroom & Chard Frittata
Think frittatas are more effort than they’re worth? Think again. Sure, there may be a few steps involved, but many can be completed the night before so all you have to do is re-heat the veggies stovetop, swirl the eggs around, and pop in the oven come morning.
And the beauty of frittatas is they’re easy to scale. Perfect for just you, for two, or for a trove. This mushroom and chard frittata packs crunch, nutrients, and flavor. If that’s not enough, our chef’s recipe also includes a side of homefries. (Serves 4)
- 8oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, cleaned and stemmed
- 1 clove garlic, minced small
- ½ red onion, diced small
- 1 dozen eggs, cracked into medium-sized bowl
- 4 oz heavy cream or whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2-3 oz canola oil
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into medium sized pieces
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 oz olive oil
- Prepare all vegetables according to specifications.
- Crack eggs into bowl and add the cream or milk, salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly, until the cream is incorporated throughout. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Heat an OVEN-SAFE medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat for several minutes, then add oil.
- Add mushrooms onto skillet and let the mushrooms saute for 3-4 minutes before stirring, then flip gently and add the onion.
- Add onions onto skillet and cook until it turns translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chard and cook until they’ve leached and evaporated most of their water, spread the filling around to fill the bottom of the pan (Pro-tip: If you have oven spray, give a quick spray around the side of the pan now; You’ll thank yourself later.)
- Add the egg mixture, stirring gently and smoothly for a few seconds.
- Pop the OVEN-SAFE pan in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until the eggs have turned golden and fluffy and you can safely poke the middle of the frittata with a butter knife and it comes out clean.
- Let the frittata sit for a few moments out of the oven (steam will be VERY hot), then slice and serve!