In the Red All Over Salad, pickled onions add a tangy flavor that compliments the sweetness of apple and tomatoes. Pickles on salad? Yes please! (Serves 4)
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- Baby spinach, rinsed
- Red onion, peeled and sliced into thin matchstick pieces
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ apple, sliced thin
- Lemon, halved
- Fresh sourdough croutons (Optional)
- (Feel free to add any cheese, nuts or whatever other toppings you like!)
- Red wine vinegar, about 8 oz
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp premade pickling spice (Optional)
- 4 oz apple cider vinegar (best) or white wine vinegar
- ½ apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ginger powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tsp honey or sugar
- 8 oz olive oil
- Fresh sourdough bread, sliced into thin medallions
- ½ tsp salt
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Start by prepping your vegetables, then assembling the pickling liquid.
- In a ziplock bag, add red wine vinegar, salt, and sugar. Stir the pickling liquid until the sugar is dissolved (You can heat the liquid in a small saucepan to take less time), and then drop the red onion into the pickling liquid, remove as much air as possible, and seal the bag. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, combine vinegar, apple, ginger powder (if using), dijon mustard, salt & pepper, and honey or sugar in a blender. Blend thoroughly, about 30 seconds.
- Slow the blender to the lowest speed and drizzle in the oil slowly, a little bit at a time, until the oil is gone and the dressing has emulsified (this means when it’s all blended together and doesn’t break apart). Add more sugar if you like a sweeter dressing, or a pinch more vinegar if you like a more tart dressing.
- Add red leaf lettuce, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, and apple in a mixing bowl.
- Give a brief toss with a couple of spoonfuls of the dressing and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Drizzle a pinch more dressing over the salad, and finish with as many of the pickled red onions as you like!
- Slice sourdough bread into thin medallions.
- Assemble onto a greased baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 350-degrees for about 7 minutes or until crisp.