Paprika Rainbow Chard and Purple Potato Mashed Potatoes
If you’re not a fan of chard, our Paprika Rainbow Chard and Purple Potato Mashed Potatoes will give you second thoughts. This creamy recipe calls for Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, shallots, cloves, red chile flakes, paprika, and more to spice up the flavors of chard and traditional mashed potatoes. File this recipe away for Thanksgiving!
1 lb purple potatoes, diced large
1 c. heavy cream
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ tsp kosher salt
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 large shallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch rainbow chard, ribs cut into 1/4-in. pieces and leaves roughly chopped
1/2 tsp red chile flakes
2 tsp paprika
¼ c. water
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fresh parsley, finely minced for garnish
- Fill a large sauce pot with water and salt. Place the pot on the stove and set to boiling. When boiling, place the diced potatoes into the water and cook until fork tender.
- In the meantime, in a separate, smaller pot, bring the heavy cream and butter to a boil, lower to a simmer and melt the butter. Turn off heat but leave on the stove to stay warm.
- Strain water out of the potatoes with a colander and place the potatoes into a bowl. Gradually add the heavy cream mixture into the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Continue to add more liquid until prefered texture.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper. Cover bowl with foil and leave a little gap.
- Take a large pot and heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute shallots, garlic and swiss chard stems until softened.
- Combine chard leaves, water, paprika and chile flakes. Then place the lid over the pot and simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
- Mix the butter and Parmesan cheese into the mashed potatoes. Then, strain the chard and stir in balsamic vinegar. Finally, season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mashed potatoes on the center of a plate, then press a spoon in the middle of the mashed potatoes and spoon chard over the little well. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!