Rootastes Summer Roots Roasted Ragout
If you’re trying to eat more vegetables, our Rootastes Summer Roots Roasted Ragout goes all out. The recipe calls for summer squash, tri-color potatoes, carrots, spinach, and an assortment of more than five herbs and spices!
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 summer squash, medium diced
- 1lb tri-color potatoes, medium diced
- 2 carrots, medium diced
- 2 c. spinach
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 (28oz) can of peeled diced tomatoes and juices
- Fresh parsley, minced, for garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large, thick sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- As white smoke starts to rise, toss in the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the onions and saute until soft and somewhat translucent.
- Add the zucchini, carrots, and potatoes to the pot and saute for 5-10 minutes to get flavor and color.
- Once complete, add the can of peeled diced tomatoes with the juices and continue to saute.
- Bring the stew to a low boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and incorporate the four dried herbs.
- Leave uncovered and stir occasionally so the ingredients won’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Continue to simmer until all ingredients are fork tender and the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency.
- When hot, add the spinach at the last minute and stir. The residual heat will continue to cook the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately in a casserole dish.