Summertime Root Vegetables Casserole
The Summertime Root Vegetables Casserole bakes summer squash, red potatoes, purple carrots, and onion with melty cheddar and crispy breadcrumbs. Who said casseroles were only good in the wintertime?
2 medium sized yellow summer squash
2 large red potatoes
2 medium sized purple carrots
1 small onion, brunoise diced
½ c. light mayonnaise
1 large egg
1 tsp granulated sugar
4 Tbsp melted unsalted butter (separated)
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (separated)
1 c. Panko or breadcrumbs
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook, drain, and mash the summer squash, red potatoes, and purple carrots.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a casserole dish or baking pan.
- Fill a large sauce pot with water and season with salt. Set on the stove over high heat and wait until boiling.
- While waiting, cut all the root vegetables into slices, making the potatoes the thinnest.
- When water boils, reduce to medium heat and cook root vegetables to fork tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- While waiting, cut the onion into small brunoise dice. When the root vegetables are done, strain and drain out all the water, return it to the saucepan, and mash. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and sugar, add the mayonnaise, chopped onion, melted butter, and ½ cup of shredded cheese. Then, stir to combine completely.
- Take the blended, mashed root vegetables and mix with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into the buttered casserole dish. Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese. Then mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and bread crumbs lightly browned. Serve immediately and enjoy.